Historic Ice House, ca 1865.
Elsah has a number of ruins, but few of them can equal the massive quality of this ruined ice house. There were at least five ice houses in Elsah: at the end of Valley Street, under the Mott’s store, at Eliestoun, and at Notch Cliff. This building was initially a residence built about 1865. The lower levels and closeness to the river make it ideal for storing ice in the lower levels. A model of the building is in the Village Museum that shows a view of the possible initial appearance. In recent years, the owner, Historic Elsah Foundation, had ice house ruin’s walls reduced and tuck pointed to stabilize them. The ruin is often used for staging photographs of families and couples.